39 Spiritual Affirmations for Times of Hardship
By Team 1AND1
We all encounter times of hardship or adversity throughout our lives. Whether it’s finals week at college, a difficult time for your family, or if you’re in the middle of a long stretch at work, it can be draining to tackle daily challenges again and again while feeling your energy reserves dwindle all the while — that’s where spiritual affirmations come in.
In many cases, your spiritual center can serve as an important reservoir of energy and optimism, especially in times of hardship.
But what if you’re out of practice connecting with your spiritual side?
In that case, you can say spiritual affirmations to help you through times of hardship. These 39 affirmations can remind you of your inner strength and vitality when you need them most.
Top 39 Spiritual Affirmations for Overcoming Adversity
- I will always love myself for who I am rather than for who I am not.
- My spirit is not bound to my body. It is enlightened and part of the universe as a whole.
- Now is the best time in my life and the best time for me to add my energy to the world.
- My spirit gives me the resource abundance I need to master my skills, overcome challenges and achieve my dreams.
- I will allow myself to be led by the universe to my ultimate destiny.
- I can overcome any challenge with the right mindset. My spirit is indomitable, and my energy is boundless.
- I am one with the universe, so I cannot truly ever fail.
- I will take the joy and happiness I can find and use it to nourish my soul through times of hardship ahead.
- I will open myself up to the universe and allow myself to be healed of the daily stressors of life.
- I will get through the current challenge no matter what, and I will be stronger for it in the end.
- I will make it a priority to take very good care of myself in the future.
- I deserve happiness, clarity, and peace. I will achieve all of these things in the future.
- I choose to see the beauty and good in everything, and I choose to be optimistic every day.
- I will be mindful and take each day individually. I will focus my attention and energy on the present moment rather than ruminating on the past or worrying about the future.
- I will focus on only those things I can control. I will not worry about the things I cannot control.
- The universe has a place for me. I am meant to be here and do good.
- I will ask for help from the universe and the people around me. There is always a way through the problem.
- I choose to be grateful for the bountiful blessings and pleasures of the universe. I have a lot to be thankful for.
- I love my life and living in this world. There is so much beauty to behold if only I take the time to notice it.
- I am never alone. My friends, family members, and fellow humans will support me in my goals if I ask.
- I can always lean on others for support.
- The universe will not give me a challenge I cannot overcome.
- I will rely on my inner fire for the strength and endurance I need to succeed.
- I will let myself rest without judging myself.
- I am much stronger than I think, especially when I feel the opposite.
- I am grateful for the adversity and challenge in my life. These difficulties allow me to grow stronger and more experienced as an individual.
- Every experience I have ever had is an opportunity to learn and grow as a person.
- The experiences I’ve had, good and bad, have shaped me into the best version of myself.
- I have everything I need to not only survive but thrive in my life.
- The universe has given me everything I need to overcome my current challenges.
- I choose to always look for ways over obstacles.
- I choose to make the best of my current situation. There is always a bright side and a blessing to be found if I look.
- I choose to release negative feelings and worries. They do not serve me and diminish my energy.
- Even though I make mistakes, I am still worthy and powerful. My mistakes do not define me.
- No external force can ever diminish my spirit. I am unbreakable.
- Failure is just another stepping stone to success.
- All I can do is my absolute best. I will be happy with myself if I give any effort my all.
- I’ve faced adversity before and risen again. I’ll do the same today.
- Every problem I encounter has a solution that I can find and use.
How Do Spiritual Affirmations Affect the Mind and Soul?
Spiritual affirmations can positively impact your mind and your spiritual center by:
- Training your mind to think more optimistically. The fact is that our brains are “programmable” to some extent. If we say spiritual affirmations regularly, we start to believe them whether they are rationally true or not! This could be very beneficial if you are trying to change your outlook or boost your daily energy.
- Reconnecting your mind with your soul. This is harder than ever in our busy daily lives, but it’s more than possible with regular spiritual affirmations and practices like meditation or yoga.
- Helping you practice mindfulness. When you are mindful, you focus your attention on the present moment. You worry less about the future or the past, resulting in better mental energy overall.
More than anything else, spiritual affirmations can help to offset the negative feelings or energy we build up over the day. It’s common to face daily challenges and long-term difficulties. Lots of people also feel more isolated than before.
Spiritual affirmations can help you overcome negative energy, regain control of your life, or think of things more positively.
When Should I Practice Affirmations?
Spiritual affirmations can be very helpful indeed. Luckily, you can say them anytime you like! Many people benefit from saying at least a few spiritual affirmations at setpoints throughout the day, such as:
- In the morning, during your daily routine
- At lunch or during a break in your workday
- In the evening before bed so that you go to sleep with a positive mindset
However, you can say spiritual affirmations for times of hardship whenever it works best for you. The goal should be to say these affirmations regularly.
For example, you can take 10 of the affirmations above and repeat them once per day throughout the week. Then take another 10 spiritual affirmations and repeat those once per day throughout the next week. Continue the practice until you start to take the affirmations to heart. It might be much faster than you think!
Are Affirmations Effective for Everyone?
Spiritual affirmations are not 100% effective for everyone, nor are they guaranteed to change your life drastically. Like many forms of spiritual therapy, affirmations are only really effective if you practice them with an open mind. If you expect them not to work, they won’t!
That said, almost everyone could benefit from trying spiritual affirmations at least once or twice. If you’ve already begun yoga or meditation, try to mix some of the above affirmations into your practice sessions. They go well with the mindset cultivated by those activities.
While spiritual affirmations can seem a little silly to practice at first, we bet they’ll improve your life and your spiritual health over time. Practice makes perfect like anything worth doing, so pick up spiritual affirmations and stick with them for a few weeks or months.
As noted above, you can combine spiritual affirmations with other forms of mental, emotional, and spiritual wellness. For example, they go very well with yoga and other forms of meditation.
Not sure where to start with those practices, or looking for other ways to make your life 1% better every day? 1AND1 Life can help. Check out our spiritual wellness resources to further your journey towards inner peace.
Mindfulness Definition | What Is Mindfulness | University of Berkeley
Do Positive Affirmations Work? What Experts Say | Cleveland Clinic
4 Ways to Practice Positive Affirmations That Work | University of Washington